It seems a little Scrooge-y and Grinch-like to skip out on a classic old fashioned sugar cookie during the Holiday season.
Enter Grandma Schmitt’s (Bob and Ed’s mother) infamous sugar cookie recipe! She was a very talented woman in the kitchen, but this recipe might just be her best. It is something our family will cherish for generations to come and hopefully you will too.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 4 cups flour (+ a little additional for rolling)
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Cream together the sugar and butter and then mix with beater. Add 1 t. of vanilla and 2 beaten eggs – beat with beater again.
- Measure 4 cups flour before sifting. Add 1 t. baking powder and 1 t. baking soda into flour mixture.
- Measure 3/4 cup sour cream. Add alternately with flour mixture and butter mixture. Beat after each addition with spoon.
- Add enough sifted flour to make stiff batter that will be easy to roll out. It may take as much as 1 cup of additional flour.
- Chill dough for several hours, until easy to handle.
- Roll out on floured board, sprinkle with granulated sugar, cut out in desired shapes.
- Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for a few minutes and take off of cookie sheet to cool.
- Then EAT & EAT & EAT!